Boy Scouts files Chapter 11 bankruptcy in the face of thousands of child abuse allegations

Boy Scouts files Chapter 11 bankruptcy in the face of thousands of child abuse allegations




Sorry to see it. The Scouts were a very important part of growing up back in the day.  From 8 to 11 you were in cub scouts led in major part by den mothers.  From 11 to 14 you were in boy Scouts led mostly by fathers. The camping trips were fun and taught self reliance and how to engage with your piers.

Scouts and church and neighborhood activities were part of what what kept solid safe neighborhoods.  The weakening of those organizations weaken our social fabric.

I was an Eagle Scout.  My four nephews were all Eagle Scouts. Much of what we learned was applicable to life.  It helped me substantially in the Marine Corps and in Vietnam.

My brother led the troops his three sons were part of, doing some great trips.  He told me that parents were obliged to come along on the trips to eliminate the problem of sexual abuse. 

My father was a Scout leader after I was through with Scouts. He took his troops on many great outings, including a canoe trip from downtown Chicago to the portage at Will

I started a Boy Scout troop in the inner city of Norfolk, Virginia at 18 when I did a year of volunteer social work. The Boy Scouts were segregated in the south.  I was the only white scout leader in the district.

We took our troop to Jamestown where it was interesting to hear about slavery in colonial times. We also integrated the Dismal Swamp Boy Scout Campground. I asked the District Council for permission to take my troop there. He told me it was segregated. I said that was stupid. He agreed, so we went to the swamp.

We took our Scouts on the traditional initiation night Snipe hunt, telling them that the Snipe was a cross between and alligator and a rabbit.  Each scout carried a bag to capture the Snipe.  We went across a draw bridge, calling snipe shipe as we crossed, with the bridge tender looking at us with astonishment.  We attacked into the woods with a great deal of noise - our little Scouts were surprised to find that there was no snipe.

I still know the Scout Slogan, Motto, Oath, and 12 Points of the Scout Law. They were good principles to live by then and still are today. Everything I learned about leadership in the Boy Scouts was applicable to the Marine Corps and applicable to civilian life.  A shame to see the Scouts decline.

Click to read the article
https://news.yahoo.com/boy-scouts-files-chapter-11-054911909.html


Click to read about my year in Norfolk.
http://popv.blogspot.com/
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free E-book "Readings in Urban Planning and Design"

Readings in Urban Planning and Design This manuscript expands upon, and compliments, chapters in the book “Planning Connections – Human, Nat...