left: Lou and scientist Douglas Piltingsrud confer with Don Smith of SmithWorks Natural Homes during a September 2011 crew training for straw-clay technology in Crested Butte, Colorado. left: Roger pitches in during a May 2011 straw-clay training day with Alex Greene and the crew of Red Beard Woodworks, in Spring Greene, Wisconsin.
left: Lou teaching Earthen Plastering in November 2002 at Small Waters inHarvard, Illinois.
Natural Home Building Workshops and Learning OpportunitiesStraw-clay walls, earthen plastering, and earthen flooring are all ancient building arts that are being revived to complement modern natural homebuilding. Our workshop content often varies, and can range over topics including passive solar design basics, clay science & mixing technologies, low-EMF wiring tips, building science principles as applied to natural construction and more. During workshops we teach you the art and science, the tools and techniques.In our hands-on workshops, you will:
• Learn how to evaluate your raw materials.
• Find out how natural ingredients affect the durability of your house.
• Design mixes to best suit your needs.
• Gain the skills to build confidently.
• Use a variety of tools & techniques and find out which ones will work best for you.If you'd like to be on our workshop mailing list, or if you're interested in hosting a training at your site, contact Christi@DesignCoalition.org