The Dixie Highway was first planned in 1914 to connect the Midwest with the Southern United States. It was part of the National Auto Trail system. It is a network of connected paved roads rather than one single highway. It was constructed and expanded from 1915 to 1927.
The Dixie Highway was inspired by the example of the slightly earlier Lincoln Highway, the first road across the United States. It was overseen by the Dixie Highway Association, and funded by a group of individuals, businesses, local governments, and states.
The route was marked by a red stripe with the
white letters "DH", usually with a white stripe above and below. The logo was commonly painted on utility poles.